A Journey Together

This "virtual space" is a place where we can share reflections from our summer reading of the Psalms. Check the links on the side for the reading schedule, links to Youversion and our church.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

June 12 Reflection

Reading - Psalm 22-24

Reflection Text - Psalm 22

When you read Jesus' last words as he hung on the cross, you'll hear the same words from David in Psalm 22. Jesus, in complete brokenness cried out, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"

There is much commentary on WHY Jesus said these words and my thought is that he was deliberately referencing Psalm 22. Re-read Psalm 22:11-18 in light of what we now know that Jesus was doing on the cross.

11 Do not be far from me,
for trouble is near
and there is no one to help.
12 Many bulls surround me;
strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.
13 Roaring lions that tear their prey
open their mouths wide against me.
14 I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint.
My heart has turned to wax;
it has melted within me.
15 My mouth[d] is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;
you lay me in the dust of death.
16 Dogs surround me,
a pack of villains encircles me;
they pierce[e] my hands and my feet.
17 All my bones are on display;
people stare and gloat over me.
18 They divide my clothes among them
and cast lots for my garment.

Can you hear both the poet and Jesus' desperation? Does it bring you comfort knowing that in the middle of this agony is when God's ultimate plan bore the most fruit?

Could it be that while we are suffering God is actually about to bring rebirth?

No comments:

Post a Comment