A Journey Together

This "virtual space" is a place where we can share reflections from our summer reading of the Psalms. Check the links on the side for the reading schedule, links to Youversion and our church.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

July 17 Reflection

Reading - Psalm 106-108

Reflection Text - Psalm 106

In The Message version of this text it reads,

"1 Hallelujah! Thank God! And why? Because he's good, because his love lasts. 2 But who on earth can do it - declaim God's mighty acts, broadcast all his praises? 3 You're one happy man when you do what's right, one happy woman when you form the habit of justice. 4 Remember me, God, when you enjoy your people; include me when you save them; 5 I want to see your chosen succeed, celebrate with your celebrating nation, join the Hallelujahs of your pride and joy! 6 We've sinned a lot, both we and our parents; We've fallen short, hurt a lot of people. 7 After our parents left Egypt, they took your wonders for granted, forgot your great and wonderful love. They were barely beyond the Red Sea when they defied the High God...20 They traded the Glory for a cheap piece of sculpture - a grass-chewing bull!

God had done an amazing thing in front of His people and for His people. They saw first-hand the power of God for their lives. They held their first-born sons at night, thankful that God did not take them during Passover.

And yet, they rebelled.

In verse 20, it says that they changed gods because God didn't appear to be there. So, they crafted a sculpture...a CHEWING BULL!

Sure, we laugh. What a stupid replacement. I mean if you're going to switch gods, you might as well try a little harder! A bull?

WE CREATE DIETIES THAT LOOK LIKE WHAT WE KNOW BECAUSE WE ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH GOD BEING "OTHER THAN" US.

I create gods of...
...self-pleasure - I worship things that make my life easier
...money - I worship things that keep me feeling independent
...power - I worship contexts/situations/jobs that put me in "control"
...shallow intimacy - I worship what makes me feel good in the moment and that does not require much from me.

What are your gods?

What does it look like to repent (turn back) from these things today to "Thank God because He's good?"

No comments:

Post a Comment