A Journey Together

This "virtual space" is a place where we can share reflections from our summer reading of the Psalms. Check the links on the side for the reading schedule, links to Youversion and our church.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 5 Reflection

Reading - Psalm 70-72

Reflection Text -Psalm 72

King Solomon is writing this song and he's unapologetically asking God for favor. He wants his own reign to be extended, to be more known and prosperous. But, here's the kicker. He gives the reason why as,

"12 For he will deliver the needy who cry out,
the afflicted who have no one to help.
13 He will take pity on the weak and the needy
and save the needy from death.
14 He will rescue them from oppression and violence,
for precious is their blood in his sight."

He's praying for God to increase the size, prosperity and length of his reign SO THAT the needy, afflicted, those pitied, the poor, those near death and the forgotten could be DELIVERED, SAVED, RESCUED, RESTORED AND GIVEN HOPE.

Maybe you could say...

His leadership would be measured by the restoration of the broken.

Which poses a lot of questions to me this morning:
1. Do I have the guts to pray for God's favor for my work?
2. How do I spend my time? Is it spent merely with those who HAVE or have not? And what does that say about me?
3. How am I judging my leadership success? Is it in simply increased power or position or numbers or dollars or is it in lives changed, hope restored and relationships embodied?

No comments:

Post a Comment