A Journey Together

This "virtual space" is a place where we can share reflections from our summer reading of the Psalms. Check the links on the side for the reading schedule, links to Youversion and our church.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 28 Reflection

Reading - Psalm 139-141

Reflection Text - Psalm 141

What happens when you feel attacked by someone?

What is your normal response to accusation?

If you're anything like me, you tend to defend yourself or to make a case against those "against" you. David, in this poem (as in many others) feels the weight of others' attack on him. Instead of berating them (I can't believe he always respected King Saul's authority, even when it was used to try to kill HIM), David prayed,

"Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips. Let a righteous man strike me--it is a kindness; let him rebuke me--it is oil on my head. My head will not refuse it."

When opposition came, David prayed for a holy tongue.

He asked God to shut his mouth.

He asked for and welcomed righteous accountability.

He didn't play victim or think that he had the right to say or do what he wanted. He asked that God would watch over his words and bring righteousness to him through accountability.

What would it look like if we saw every opportunity, even when we are hurt, as an opportunity for greater accountability before God and others?

No comments:

Post a Comment