A Journey Together

This "virtual space" is a place where we can share reflections from our summer reading of the Psalms. Check the links on the side for the reading schedule, links to Youversion and our church.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

July 21 Reflection

Reading - Psalm 118-120

Reflection Text - Psalm 120

The evil part of me wanted to write a reflection on Psalm 119, the longest Psalm in the book, but I love you all too much.

Psalm 120 begins a section (through 134) called the Songs of Ascent. These are songs that were most likely sung by pilgrims making annual trips to Jerusalem from various parts of Israel. Because of the typography of the land, Jerusalem is UP from any direction. These songs became the ritual of their religious pilgrimmage.

Which makes me think, what are mine? What are the songs I sing or pray when I am wanting to connect with God?

What are they for you? Have there been songs that prepare you for an encounter with the holy? Are there prayers (footprints, etc.) that you always recite as you meet with God?

One of my latest favorites comes from the middle ages. It says,

"holy Spirit, pour into me your greatest gift, which is love."

No comments:

Post a Comment